My background is in technical writing. I’ve written for the Oklahoma Gardener magazine, which is no longer in publication. I’ve written for OSU’s Department of Horticulture Newsletter, I write my own seasonal newsletter The Hort Exhort, I’ve written OSU fact sheets and publications as part of research, occasionally I’ll write articles for the newspapers in my county, and now I write for Oklahoma City Mom.
While this is mostly about what I’ve learned from writing for OKC Mom, some of it applies to the aforementioned, too.
- I’ve learned that people want to hear about things that they can relate to or apply to their own lives. If it’s concise, even better. Ain’t nobody got time for a novel these days.
- Don’t try to be a vigilante, especially on divisive topics. I think some would call that being a Karen. I don’t want to impose my views on others. It heightens aggressive thoughts and behaviors, and isn’t really being helpful to moms out there. While it can make for a more popular post, I personally do not want to take part in that.
- I need to think about those that are going to be affected by my post before I publish it. I don’t ever want to talk badly about my friends, family or coworkers. I know I’m always going to regret it later. I think we call that a consequence of our action.
- I need to take note of anything funny or memorable that happens in my family. I forget about it when it comes time to write an OKC Mom post. I need to be better about taking note of my life.
- There are so many ways to parent your kids. Our OKC Mom contributor team has an array of moms, and it’s comforting to know that parenting goes beyond the box in my mind. I enjoy learning from the other moms out there, or just seeing how they do things.
- So many people read OKC Mom posts and watch our social media! That’s frightening, but also humbling. It helps me to be mindful of others and think beyond my own four walls. It also makes me think, “Am I being kind? Am I being helpful? Am I sharing too much?”
Are you ready to write for OKC Mom? Apply here to become a contributor!