In our house, we love music! We make up catchy jingles about what we are doing throughout the day. We love having dance parties in the living room, and we frequently attend concerts performed by my four year old LIVE! from the stage that is our fire place. I love it all! However, there are times when I wish I could trade in “Let It Go” and the Alvin and the Chipmunks version of “Uptown Funk” for a little more “Mama Music”. I’ll admit that I’m not exactly privy to all of today’s latest hits. (When I want to dance, the N*SYNC Pandora station is. my. JAM!) Nevertheless, I did my very best to put together what I think is the perfect playlist for various motherhood moments and milestones, and added in a few #MomLyrics just for fun! Enjoy!
1. Birth: Push It, Salt n Peppa
Is there really a more perfect song to kick off our playlist or help bring your little blessing into the world?
2. Postpartum Recovery: Just the Way You Are, Bruno Mars
You can sing this to your new baby, but it’s really for you. Sing it loud and proud in the shower with your changing moods and body. Cause girl, you’re amazing!
3. Judged in a Mommy Group: Shake it Off, Taylor Swift
4. Trapped Under a Napping Baby: Dare You to Move, Switchfoot
It really is the perfect nap time song to listen to as you gaze lovingly at your clingy, teething, wakeful baby…go ahead and turn it on if your phone isn’t just a few inches out of reach. But it probably is.
5. Baby’s First Steps: Wobble Baby, V.I.C.
6. Enjoying Your (lukewarm) Coffee: Raise Your Glass, P!nk
7. Toddler Tantrum: Eye of the Tiger, Survivor
8. Potty Training Dance Party: I Gotta Feeling, The Black Eyed Peas
9. First Day of School: I Want To Hold Your Hand, The Beatles
Sing this one at the top of your lungs while you ugly cry in your mini van after drop off.
10. Meeting a Mom with a Similar Parenting Style Whose Kids Don’t Annoy You: Call Me Maybe, Carly Rae Jepson
11. Whole Family Stomach Virus: Another One Bites the Dust, Queen
You’ll need something with a beat to keep you scrubbing and sanitizing while everyone else rests up.
12. Grocery Shopping: Royals, Lorde
13. Middle School Years: Survivor, Destiny’s Child
On repeat. Let Queen Bey inspire you.
14. First Teenage Door Slam: RESPECT, Aretha Franklin
It’s best to just have your teenager listen to this one.
15. Teaching Your Teenager How to Drive: Jesus Take the Wheel, Carrie Underwood
16. High School Graduation: Alternate between Happy, Pharrell and There Goes My Life, Kenny Chesney
Those are some of my favorites! What songs would you choose for your personal motherhood soundtrack? What’s your favorite mama jam? I would LOVE to hear about them. Who knows, you might even inspire me to bring my Pandora account into the 2010s!