I love to read and sharing my favorite authors and books with others. I had a baby in 2015 though so my reading game has consisted more of board books than novels as of late. And it’s much easier to turn on the Netflix marathon (I finished all 10 seasons on Friends the first 10 weeks of my daughter’s life) than to pick up a book while nursing or rocking a crying baby at 2 am.
Last year I participated in an online reading challenge and had a lot of fun trying to find different books to fit the categories. I branched out of what I usually read and learned from other people participating in the challenge about some great books. You might have read some of my other posts before on books (2013 and 2014) but this year we at OKC Mom’s Blog wanted to encourage all of our community with a fun reading challenge. If reading more was on your list of priorities for the New Year, then join in on the fun! The title is Sixteen in 2016. The sixteen categories are listed below and all you have to do is find 16 books throughout the year that fit into the categories. When you read one, just post a picture of the book to social media with the hashtag #16in2016. You can get ideas from the online community and be encouraged to find great new authors!
Here are the categories!
1. A book by an author you love
2. A book with a woman on the cover
3. A book you can read aloud as a family
4. A book you wouldn’t want your mother to know you’ve read
5. A book published before your mother was born
6. A parenting book
7. A book based in Oklahoma
8. A book about bad parents
9. A book of a mother/child relationship
10. A book that was made into a movie
11. A book set in a time period you wish you had lived in
12. A book by an Oklahoma author
13. A book you randomly pick off the shelf
14. A book you saw someone else read from this challenge
15. A book everyone says you MUST read
16. A book you loved as a child
So renew that library card, head over to the book store, or dust off that kindle and let’s get started! I look forward to seeing what all you guys are reading this year!