Last summer my husband, kids and I spent two incredible weeks in Hawaii. This trip was a lifetime in the making – literally! After five failed attempts, due to unexpected military delays, the stars finally aligned for us to enjoy Maui and Oahu for our tenth wedding anniversary.
One of our adventures in Maui was driving the Road to Hana. NOTE: it’s a long drive, so pack Dramamine even if you don’t think you’ll need it! After several hours and beautiful sightseeing points along the way, we stopped at the Halfway to Hana Stand. There were tons of food options, including warm banana bread and giant Hawaiian shaved ice. One thing that stood out was their Kamehameha Bar filled with mixed nuts and chocolate goodness.
Those who know my husband know that he absolutely loves to cook, so he’s the chef in our family. He has the gift to taste something once, figure out what’s in it, then will create his own recipe. So naturally, he created his own twist of this delicious treat. We’ve dubbed it “The Big Kahuna Bar” because it’s filled with so many delightful ingredients, it will make you feel like a king (or queen)!
Follow the recipe below to create your own little sweet taste of Hawaii!
The Big Kahuna Bar
Makes approximately 18-24 bars
- 1 cup (2 sticks) salted butter
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups light brown sugar (packed)
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup macadamia nuts
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup caramel bites
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes
- Vegetable or butter cooking spray
- Melt butter in the microwave and set it aside to cool. Cooling the butter is key so you don’t end up with scrambled eggs later!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a large sided cookie sheet (or baking pan) with cooking spray. Line the cookie sheet with parchment paper and lightly spray with cooking spray again.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.
- Combine the cooled butter, vanilla extract, light brown sugar, and eggs in a separate bowl, then whisk it together until smooth.
- Add the dark chocolate chips, macadamia nuts, white chocolate chips and caramel bites to your wet mix, and stir.
- Fold in the flour mix and shredded coconut until all the flour is absorbed into the mixture.
- Lightly spray a baking spatula to help evenly distribute the mixture onto your cookie sheet. Don’t worry about getting it into the corners perfectly, as the mixture will expand.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until the bars appear golden brown, then set aside to cool for 30 minutes.
- Cut the bars into squares or rectangles. (Or cut a large slice to hide for yourself…we won’t judge!)
*Bonus!* Add chocolate or vanilla ice cream, with a drizzle of chocolate syrup and top with whipped cream!
Prep time: 15 minutes
Baking time: 15-18 minutes
Cooling time: 30 minutes
Total time: About 1 hour
We hope you enjoy this recipe year-round for any event. Please let us know what you think below!