Anyway, the thing that I had to give up was dairy.
I thought that giving up shellfish wouldn’t be that bad, even though I sobbed thinking that I could never eat shrimp again.
But dairy? Dairy is everywhere: cheeses, some breads, cakes, some chocolates (I’m glad I love dark chocolate) and of course ICE CREAM!!
I thought in my most dramatic voice, “No! I can’t give up ice cream!!” However, luckily for us non-dairy people, there is a whole universe of dairy-free items. Finding out that I have a dairy allergy made me jump headfirst into the dairy alternative world.
Thankfully, there are now many ice cream options out there that don’t have any dairy or cow’s milk at all. So because I love trying new things, especially sweets, I decided to sacrifice myself and try as many of the options I could find at my local grocery store. I’m a chocolate lover, so most of my options include chocolate… sorry not sorry.
- Ben & Jerry’s: Yep! They do carry non-dairy ice cream! My favorite flavors are Chocolate Fudge Brownie, Coffee Caramel Fudge, and Caramel Almond Brittle. A friend told me that their P.B & Cookies is awesome too.
- Coconut Bliss: I have only seen it at Whole Foods, and I hope it comes to a Walmart or Target near me soon. My favorites are Salted Caramel and Coconut Almond.
- Häagen-Dazs: This was one of my favorite brands before I found out that I couldn’t have dairy. My favorite ice creams are Chocolate Salted Fudge Truffle, and Mocha Chocolate Cookie. They also have a Peanut Butter Chocolate Fudge.
- Soy Creamy: This brand is from Trader Joe’s. I was skeptical the first time I got it, but it was so good. It’s also cheaper, so you get more bang for your buck. My favorite flavors are Cherry Chocolate Chip and Strawberry.
- So Delicious: This brand is probably my favorite. You can find ice creams made out of soy milk, almond milk, coconut milk, and cashew milk. So good! They also have tons of flavors like cookie dough, strawberry, and vanilla. They also carry gluten free options. My favorites are Chocolate Cookies N’ Cream, Chocolate, and Mint Chip.