At first, “best” mom fails may seem like a contradiction. “Mom fails” are something we as moms could have done better at, but, thankfully, nobody ended up badly hurt. I mean we can’t be at the top of our game 100% of the time, right?I think it’s important to not share only our successes. Besides being potentially funny or providing lessons we can learn from, failures can reassure us that we aren’t alone in our parenting imperfections. So a few of the writers from the Oklahoma City Moms Blog team agreed to share our best mom fails. I’ll start.
Hi my name is Lacey, and my best mom fails are:
- When my son was about one, he started making hand motions that seemed very intentional. I later realized he had been watching Signing Time on PBS Kids. It turned out he had learned a ton of sign language, but I had no clue what he was signing. Oops!
- One Saturday, my phone died during the night. We woke up the next morning and made it just as church was ending. I was SO confused! Turns out, it was daylight savings time. Since my phone was dead, I didn’t see an updated clock all morning.
Hi my name is Katy, and my best mom fails are:
- This year, my girls are in kindergarten and second grade at different schools. When the first teacher conferences were set up, I thought I had made them for the same time a week apart, only to realize that I had actually double-booked myself. I completely missed my second grader’s conference! I messaged her teacher at midnight that night when I had realized what I had done. Needless to say, major mom fail!
- One day, I arrived at my daughter’s carpool line early with my two-year-old and newborn in the car. I turned the engine off but left the radio on so they could listen to the kiddie music. Fast forward 45 minutes and the line started moving. I turned my keys… nothing! My battery had died mid-carpool line! And no joke, people started honking like crazy. I had to run into the office carrying two babies, and the secretary and counselor came out to help. The secretary held my newborn and directed traffic around my car. The counselor chased my toddler around in the grass, and the dads helped me push my car into the parking lot out of everyone’s way. Totally mortified. Mom fail!
Hi my name is Brittni and my best mom fails are:
- One of my first mom fails came when my daughter was about five months old. I laid her on my queen sized bed, in the middle, while I RAN to the bathroom. As I finished up, I heard a thud and scream. I ran in there and picked her up. I just started bawling. How could I do that? Why did I let her roll off? I felt terrible and bawled LITERALLY the rest of the day. It also didn’t help that we were about to leave for an appointment. As I comforted her, I realized that my husband, who was 30+ minutes away, had our only car seat with him. With no time to get it and make our appointment, I cancelled and rescheduled. Instead, I held her all day while I cried off and on.
- One afternoon not long ago, I had just finished changing my 13-month-old’s diaper. She walked away, and I stayed in her room and played on my phone for a minute. I heard her go into my bathroom and get into my cabinets. I listened for a minute and then heard what I thought was a bottle. When I walked in there she had a whole bottle of 5mg Melatonin tablets all over the floor. No idea how she got the lid off. I was terrified. Thankfully her binky was still firmly in her mouth, so I was assured she hadn’t eaten any. That, and the fact that she didn’t pass out 20 minutes later from an overdose of sleeping medication. Scariest moment.
Hi my name is Kristen, and my best mom fails are:
- I took the kids to lunch, and my oldest told me he wasn’t feeling well. I thought he was just hungry and needed some food. Completely wrong. A few minutes later, he barfed all over the restaurant. Luckily, there was a door right next to us. I picked him up and rushed him outside. I should have listened to him!
- Often, things get stressful when I am chauffeuring the kids around town for various activities and errands. One day a car cut me off, and I had to slam on my breaks. My five-year old yelled, “IDIOT!!!” at the other driver…Wonder where he got that from?
Okay so we shared ours.
Tell us, what are YOUR best mom fails?